Friday, May 27, 2011

Summer...Week One

Sitting at Emma's swim team practice tonight, a few parents expressed their jealousy over Jeff and I not having to go to work for a couple of months. After this first week off, Jeff and I might disagree- parenting and entertaining your kids is tough work!


This summer we are working on reading with our kids everyday. This means actually finding time in our busy schedule to sit down and read with them. So far, we are doing well. The kids entered the Bemis Library reading contest where for every six hours of reading, they earn free books from the library. They also can can win special prizes. With each level accomplished, they move up a level. Jackson is really into the Hardy Boys mystery series, Emma is reading Mr. Popper's Penguins, and Will is working on reading his first chapter book.


Additionally, we always like to keep summer as relaxing as possible while maintaining some semblence of structure- the structure is more for my personal sanity. So far we have gone to a Rockies game, been swimming a couple of times at the pool, and today, made stilts. I remember at my grandparents home in Devils Lake having a pair of stilts that Matt, Keith, Adam and I would walk on. After purchasing all the necessary materials yesterday, Jeff put the stilts together today with assistance from Jackson and Emma. Of course, I had to take a whirl as well. Here Jackson is showing of his skills and I am trying not to hurt myself.






















Will finished up tennis camp this week. He had a great time and really enjoyed when they were able to play matches. Luckily, his tennis fun doesn't end this week- he has tennis lessons a couple of times a week starting next week.





Emma started swim team this week. This year we are backing off the 6 day a week committment and focusing on Emma having fun at swimming. So far so good. Only 8 weeks to go!




Jeff and I have Memorial Day weekend free from kids- which will be good because I fell asleep yesterday at the pool with them because they are so energetic thus exhausting. We are planning on finishing up my training for the Steamboat Half Marathon next weekend, and then getting ready to pace Bryan Krause, our cousin, in his pursuit of an ultramarathon finish. Saturday night, Jeff and I are running at night, with Bryan and Shelley, to get a feel for what it will be like for us to pace Bryan through the night. This will be interesting.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you raw busy as usual. Hope you're having a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete